Our Environmental Policy
Sleeping Giant Media recognises that organisations of all kinds are, increasingly, determined to achieve and demonstrate sound environmental performance by controlling the impact on the environment by their activities, products and services.
This is in the context of growing environmental awareness, increasingly stringent legislation and other factors promoting environmental protection and best practice.
Sleeping Giant media is concerned about the environment and recognises that good environmental management must be an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy. Helping to save the environment is not only our future, but also our business, and our commitment to this challenge is total.
Sleeping Giant Media is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the environment.
The key points of its strategy to achieve this are:
- To prevent waste of potentially useful materials,
- To reduce the consumption of fresh raw materials,
- To reduce energy usage,
- To reduce air pollution (from incineration) and water pollution (from landfilling) by reducing the need for waste disposal,
- To reduce greenhouse gas emissions as compared to virgin production.
- To minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible
- To actively promote and educate recycling both internally and amongst its partners
How we account for the environment
- All cardboard packaging and recyclable materials (boxes, end-caps etc) is sent to recycling using official channels.
- Our offices and associated buildings use an ecological approach to heating throughout the year.
- We employ a remote working policy that allows employees to work from home and reduce their carbon footprint from their commute.
- We offer employees the facility to have their travel to and from external meetings booked by the operations department using communal transport like trains and buses to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Purchases made within operations are mindful of the environment and research on products and their implications on the environment is done beforehand.
- We operate on a drive share system which allows us not to print off unnecessary documents, paperwork etc..
- Any events hosted by the company will have recycling posts, ethical and sustainable options for consumption and reusable elements provided.
- We operate a voluntary ‘Green Squad’ internally that evaluates our environmental approach and makes proposals accordingly.
- Our ‘Green Squad’ aims to educate and inspire environmental change within our staff and our partners.
- We facilitate group activities aimed at bettering the environment including Litterpicks and Beach cleans through local councils.
Scope of Policy Statement
This statement covers all buildings, goods and services used and provided by Sleeping Giant Media and everyone working for us. It concerns the immediate impacts of our activities and policies.
The policy excludes the indirect impact of our goods and services that we cannot control or influence and also our suppliers’ impact that we are unable to influence. However in performing due diligence we ensure where possible our suppliers hold themselves to high standards as we do.
In the course of Sleeping Giant Media operations, and within resource constraints, we will improve our environmental performance by:
- conserving energy, water, wood, paper and other resources, particularly those which are scarce or non-renewable, while still providing a safe and comfortable working environment;
- reducing waste through re-use and recycling and by using refurbished and recycled products and materials where such alternatives are economical and suitable; and
- ensuring that any products used or derived from wildlife, such as timber and plants, are from sustainable sources and comply with European Union and international trade rules such as CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species).
- phasing out, where practical, ozone depleting substances and minimising the release of greenhouse gases, volatile organic compounds, vehicle emissions and other substances damaging to health and the environment.
Where possible Sleeping Giant Media will manage our environmental performance by:
- communicating openly with staff and others, educating, training and motivating our colleagues, and other relevant persons and organisations to encourage them to support our environmental objectives; and responding appropriately to reasonable external requests for environment information.
- Whether any goods or services are environmentally preferable will be an important factor when any purchasing decision is made.
- Ensuring, where practicable, either through our own actions or by negotiation with any landlord, that buildings occupied by us are designed, constructed and operated to optimise their environmental performance.
- demonstrating that, where relevant, environmental issues are considered when making decisions, planning and developing policy, programmes and projects; and
- monitoring progress against the environmental aim and other indicators.
This policy and the obligations and responsibilities required by any environmental management system implemented by us have been or will be communicated to all employees.
*Sleeping Giant Media shall be defined as Sleeping Giant Media Ltd, Spark, Pocket Giant Ltd, and Giant Campus Ltd. collectively.